Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Target Badge

Guess you may be wondering what EPPOP stands for?

Well, it is the acronym for Enrollment Cum Passing Out Parade.

This was a parade that was one of a kind! During this parade, the sec 1's (Boys Brigade) would receive their first badge... the target badge. Moreover, it would be pinned on by their very own parents! Well, the only disadvantage was that we had to stand in our full uniform for 40 straight minutes, without resting!

This is my experience...

On Friday, a day before the main event, we had our preparation. We practiced our drills until near perfection, and until we were united as a single unit, synchronized, and fully coordinated. At first, our drills were 'unacceptable'(as the sir called it). A supposed single, solid stamp sounded like a machine gun. However, fortunately, after hours and hours of practice, we managed to 'perfect' it(the sec 1 contingent still had difficult being synchronized when we marched).

Anyway, we rose early the following day. Adrenaline surged through me. My heart palpitated at a ferocious intensity. Thoughts raced through my mind as a weighed the possibilities of me making a mistake. As we walked past the seats where our parents would be seated, I cast a furtive glance at the shiny metallic target badges that would be pinned upon our right sleeve. I had a cocktail of emotions, that of excitement, anxiety, nervousness, and pride.

As the saying goes, time flies. Before I knew it, the entire company was formed up, and the least anticipated part of the parade was about to start, the waiting.

I don't think I'll need to specify on the waiting. There's only a word for it, tiring. By the end of the day, I was aching all over, as I am even as I am typing this post. Still, when I look at the target badge... well, the wait certainly paid off!

The 'Pinning' ceremony...

As soon as the command was given, our parents strode up to us, a sparkling metal object in the palm of their hand. Slowly and carefully, they pinned the badge onto our right sleeve, and stepped back to admire their 'handiwork'. I beamed with pride as I received the badge. This definitely is an experience that I would never forget.

No comments: