Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Day of Monitor Lizards

I just came back from Sungei Buloh. I am very excited to blog about my day. This is my second time going out with the homeschool group. Auntie Minna was very kind to give us a ride there. When we reached there, my brothers and I went to look for our friends. But we were surprised that no one was there and we were the first family to arrive. While looking around, we saw a stork-billed kingfisher standing very still on the verandah. I thought it was a statue from far. This kingfisher has a red beak, and its body is blue and yellow in colour. Later, we hiked a trail through the wetlands and was eager to spot birds along the trail. However, we were disappointed that we did not see any migratory birds, although we saw many golden web spiders and a cotton stainer bug. After that we went to a platform for our lunch. We also saw many striped-nosed halfbeaks fish swimming in the water nearby. I noticed they had a white tip on its lower jaw and they were swimming in a group. Later we went to the bird watching tower to look at migratory birds. My friends and I were very eager to climb up to the top. When we reached the top level, I quickly borrowed Dominic's binoculars and looked outside. It was a wonderful view of the wetlands. A while later, it started to drizzled, but it stopped pretty fast. We continued with our walk on the trail. Along the way, my friends and I were bitten by mosquitoes. We decided to walk faster to avoid bitten again. On the way, we saw a monitor lizard 'sun-bathing' on the timber board. Later at the visitor centre I saw some more monitor lizards! They were swimming, sleeping, and walking so close to me. I was excited because I have never seen a monitor lizard so close to me. I quickly asked mummy for the camera so that I could take a picture of it. Here are the pictures of the kingfisher and monitor lizards.

2 comments:

Dominic said...

Ah! I missed the kingfisher.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it fun? Shall we go there again?